KFC - Parramatta Concept

As you walk pass, a double take is in order when you realise that yes this is a KFC branch. It's their new 2015 concept store. What's the concept? Possibly to make a place that you no longer associate finger lickin' good as removing a heavy coat of oil from your hands nor to conjure up an image of a half-naked fat guy with a bucket of chicken in front of a TV.  

This is quite a blatant response to McDonald's The Corner... no longer are the days of a healthy choice menu snuck between fat foods sufficient enough to cater for the health conscious.


They have freshen up their image and located themselves amongst the eat-street in Parramatta. No more drive-throughs, more bottles of water in their fridges and the missing "stench" of delicious fried chicken...

During prime dining time, this place is surprisingly dead quiet....


Taking a quick glance at the menu it can be seen that they have dissected it up to make it look like it's new but on close inspection you're essentially ordering the same thing except that I'm now paying a lot more for KFC than I normally would. $10 for just the burger with no sides or drink....


As a bonus, they have included power points which they offer to customers to charge their phones and free wifi as well. It's subtly hinted on the walls in the store. 

Also they've made a more environmentally friendly change to their store, like their disposable cutlery being wooden, resembling paddle pop stick cutouts of cutlery.


One new concept to their menu is their Bowl... for the carb conscious I assume. The bowl is basically quinoa and salad paired with your chicken of choice and then topped off with a sauce of choice. I have to say this was quite an interesting twist for the more health conscious to enjoy KFC.... but I can't justify paying $10 for something that almost resembled a side salad...


I think what I miss most most about this new change, and you'll probably notice the trend as you keep reading, is that KFC symbolises tasty fast food that's bad for me... but I'm OK with it.. I know it's bad... they're not promoting their fried chicken is what I need in my diet... but we choose to eat it anyways.. it's that bad treat that you allow yourself to enjoy once in a while...I love the experience of bringing home a hot box of fried chicken, plonking in front of the telly, opening up the box to find my favourite piece, taking a massive bite and having it ooze oil and flavour and then look over at my partner and nod in agreement that 'Yes I know this is ridiculously bad for me but at least I'll die happy'...  and it feels like this change has taken that away from me... 


They even did a new take on the Coleslaw... which they shorten to Slaw... It looks the same but it's no longer diced up, kept chilled or drenched in sauce...


Their burgers had a face lift as well... changing to a damper style bun and what seems to be a less oily piece of chicken as well. There was also barely any sauce in this... why oh why have you taken away the taste of KFC...


and even the chips aren't heavily as salted as normal....


One nice change to their menu had to be the addition of the Frozen Custard... which at the time was on special for $1... originally printed on the menu at $3. For $1, this was a fantastic dessert even though two stores down there's a Messina. It was smooth, sweet and best of all chocolate.


What I do like about this place is you do get the restaurant kind of service. The staff brought our meals to the table, but that was probably because they were over-staffed and had barely any customers on a Saturday night during dinner time....

In regards to the food, I wouldn't return based on the fact that this isn't the KFC I'm use to or expecting... I'm all about health and change... but life is too short to be stuffing your face with foods that are still high in calories but low in enjoyment...


KFC on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

The Sydney Noob said...

I did a blog post about this recently. Agreed this will not take off.

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos