Kurtosh

After dining at the nearby Jambo Jambo, we strolled over to cure our sweet tooth at Kurtosh. The Kurtosh in Crows Nest sits on the busy Willoughby Road. It entices with a long glass display of sweet cakes, coffee and their specialty Kurtosh.


The cakes are sold by weight, with the prices displayed. I guess it came as a bit of a shock how little cake you get for a measly 100 grams.


Kurtosh aka Chimney Cake is made from sweet, yeast dough, of which a strip is spun and then wrapped around a truncated cone–shaped baking spit, and rolled in granulated sugar.


It is baked above charcoal cinders while lathered with melted butter, until its surface gets a golden-brown color. During the baking process the sugar stuck on becomes caramel and forms shiny, crispy crust on the cake.


They offered a variant of flavours but my wife and sister-in-law opted for the Nutella option.... and why wouldn't you.


It came out piping hot and we decided to take it away with us. The smell was enticing, the warmth was comforting and the anticipation was killing us.


We finally get to plate it and cut into the Kurtosh... the taste was great. The sweetness of the Nutella with the freshly cooked taste of the Kurtosh just paired so well. In all honesty... what doesn't Nutella make better...


We also manage to get two slices of cake at 100 grams each. I enjoyed the Tiramisu a lot more than the Cream Cheese Brownie... both were quite average cakes. Definitely nothing to lure me in for another visit.


The store had a lot of patrons inside, but the staff were still on the ball. It felt a bit chaotic with no line to define order... but it still worked out okay and we got served in a timely manner. The service was polite and quite friendly, with the staff happy to explain through their menu. I did find it hard to hear some explanations over the general surrounding chit chatter.


The lighting was dim to dark, the air was warm and it smelt like sweet cakes and coffee. You get a homely sensation as you walk in, despite no greetings. The layout was quite roomy and offered a lot of seating area. There was even a massive coffee station at the back of the restaurant.

I liked that they had an array of samples on the counter to try. I think I might have gotten full from just sampling while waiting for the Kurtosh to cook. Slight criticism.. I wish they labelled the samples as I had no idea what I just had.


My recommendation, come for their Kurtosh. It was definitely the highlight.


Click to add a blog post for Kürtosh on Zomato

2 comments:

Annie Bean said...

I have not ever had a good Tiramisu.. If you can point me in the right direction that would be great! Most of the time it tastes like cheap coffee, blegh!

Unknown said...

Tbh my mum makes a pretty mean tiramisu.. coz I like mine more creamy and less cakey

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos