Chicken Institute

Our first attempt was a bust... we rocked up without booking as a group of only three and was informed that they had no room for us. So my second attempt, I called, booked and manage to score myself a one hour time slot to sample what the fuss in town is about. 


We started with their Steam Bun - Eggplant Schnitzel, Chipotle Dressing, Tangy Cucumber. The eggplant schnitzel tasted predominantly like batter/crumbing and the sauce left a weird, tangy, numbing feeling to the tongue. The bun was fluffy but overall it was quite small for it's $6 price tag. I was quite disappointed with it overall.


Next up was their Kimchi Poutine - Shoe String Fries smothered in cheese, kimchi, chilli and shallot. I think this looks as interesting as it tastes. My initial reaction was a simple "meh" but I found it to be quite moreish as you power through. We then find ourselves both fighting over who will lather up the gravy sauce at the end. I can see why this dish was included in many lists for "Top Chips in Sydney".


Finally their piece de resistance, a bucket of Damn Good Fried Garlic Chicken - Half a dozen pieces of garlic caramel glaze, crushed peanuts and lime... with a side of radish. The chicken was as promised... damn good... BUT it was also damn salty. I found myself sculling water to power through as it's flavours were intense. At least I can't complain it was dry or without sauce. I also found the pieces to be quite small for it's $24 price tag.... definitely on the higher end with respects to other Korean Fried Chicken. On a positive note, each piece of chicken had a deliciously seasoned crunchy layer with was succulent chicken inside. Quite mouth-watering... if not for the salty aspect.


My recommendation has to be their dessert, Sweet Potato Doughnut and Dulche De Leche. For a measely $8 you're taking your palates for a treat. A taste of a sophisticated dessert that balances smoothness, sweetness and soul warming food all in one. Despite being quite full, we managed to gobble it up without any complaints.


One of the biggest issues with the restaurant is it's layout. You're essentially sharing large benches and tables with people. The space between tables are quite narrow which meant you'll constantly be bumped in the back by the wait staff which was a bit frustrating.


In saying that I have to commend the service here though. It's spot on... diligent water refills without asking, polite manners when your ordering and even when they take reservations. I like the way these guys do business and if they keep serving up good food and great hospitality then there's no doubt in my mind this place is here to stay.


The decor was minimalistic, filled with large wooden tables, rustic feel and a massive chicken muriel on one wall. I quite like what they done with the place... and they provided enough lighting for the ambience and still enough for photos.


I think you should go into here expecting nothing. Forget that their chicken and poutine have topped many lists for being the best in Sydney. Don't over hype it. It's just a great Korean Fusion place, located away from the main district of Surry Hills... but I assure you that the walk and wait is worth it.

Click to add a blog post for Chicken Institute on Zomato

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos