KIN by Us

After watching my Instagram being bombarded with photos that literally make you salivate, I was determined to jump on the Kin by Us band wagon.


My wife sampled their Galbi Back (yes their menu is all puns of some sort... it's got Uel written all over it). Essentially a burger comprising of grilled beef ribs, pineapple special sweet sauce and brioche. The burger was presented beautifully and the sauce was full of flavour.  I personally found the brioche too thick and the beef ribs too dry. Normally I don't eat beef ribs for that exact reason.


My mother-in-law tried their Kaya Toast with an extra order of Onsen Egg (a traditional Japanese slow cooked egg). The key to a good kaya toast is be generous with the kaya. What I loved about this combination of egg and kaya was how the saltiness and sweetness melded together and did not clash. In fact it provided am amazing taste sensation I quite enjoyed. I suppose this also goes along with the latest trends of combining sweet and savoury desserts together aka Sea Salt Icecream.


The Waffle Belly immediately caught my eye. A potato waffle topped with caramel soy pork belly, an onsen egg, shrooms and cabbage. The pork was quite tender, the runny egg balanced the dish but overall a bit salty with the combination of the waffle and pork. I really liked the taste of the shrooms. The earthy element was nice mix for the taste buds.  


With many drink choices on the menu, my wife went with her Soy Latte. She did mention the coffee was great and I notice they had their coffee blend for sale on the shelves.


Biggest let down was changing my order from a Gaytime Gaytime Shake to Black Sesame Shake. The presentation deceived me and by no means was this black sesame besides the colour. The drink was bland, over powered with just milk and left me lingering for the sweetness of black sesame...

Even though where they're located is completely horrible for parking (with hardly any street parking I suggest using Macquarie Center and walking he 700 meters), this restaurant was completely packed. I have to commend the service at Kin, They were extremely efficient and diligent... filled with bubbly staff ready to take your order and show you to your seat. With customers lining outside, they're still more than happy to provide that personal touch like going through the menu and making suggestions.

What's nice to see is Uel and Shannelle actually working in the kitchen. Both were completely entranced in their work, carefully plating each dish and double checking it before it gets sent out. It felt like being in an episode of My Kitchen Rules.  With the open kitchen, you can also witness the nice touches like plucking fresh herbs from the kitchen bench top garden and serving it with their tea. 


The decor is a mixture of an Asian theme / Industrial... large sharing tables (which I hate as you're forced to dine with others and it's quite squishy especially when they try and pack in too many to a table),  asian cups in bird cages hanging from the ceiling and industrial lighting with Edison bulbs. 


The food plates well and tastes decent, the customer service is top notch and the parking is horrible. I personally don't like cafe food enough for places like this to change my mind, but I can see what the fuss is all about. Make up your mind and give it a try at least.


Click to add a blog post for KIN by us. on Zomato

1 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

mmm that gooey onsen egg!

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos