Gazzi Cafe and Bar

I was trying to do lunch at Neil Perry's Burger Project with a friend but that place on a Friday lunchtime meant long lines and no seats. As I waited for him, I wandered around World Square looking for an alternative and found Gazzi. A quick search on Urbanspoon brought up with mixed reviews but I'm all about giving restaurants a chance anyways.

We were quickly seated, despite it being quite busy, and the waitress came over promptly and punched our order into her little iPad ordering contraption. Yet another modern cafe with the feel of a place that's suppose to look industrial... I'll touch on that later...



My friend chose their Original Old School Burger with ground beef, tomato, lettuce, onion, pickles and tomato sauce. His main gripe was with their bread... it looked more toasted than mine.. so much so.. the bread crumbled and caused a hard flakey texture resulting in some choking and grasping for the free tap water.  

He ordered a Diet Coke which came in a jar... and this struck up an interesting observation about cafe's serving their drinks in jars. He expressed that the idea of jars instead of cups was suppose to be resourceful and promote recycling... but nowadays China is pumping out jars with handles that look like used jars hence defeating the initial purpose... I suppose the question is why are they purposely paying to get the appeal of looking like they couldn't afford cups... 
I suppose the same idea applies for their "newspaper" lined plates... yet again... another item that is purposely manufactured...(though in saying that I don't actually want my burger to be sitting on real newspaper)... it was definitely an eye opening observation for me... I've always just accepted the trend like a Lemming...


An interesting side offering was the Potato Scallops with sea salt tomato chilli jam. Oh so that's what the sauce was suppose to be... tasted a lot like sweet chilli sauce to me.... and that did not go well with the scallops. I'd still personally prefer the traditional chicken salt on scallops that are cooked well... which these were not...


I tried the Master Kobe Wagyu with monchego cheese, sweet and sour onion and Honey mustard sauce. The standout was that sweet and sour onion. It was interesting and I felt like I could have done with some extra on side. The beef itself wasn't bad but it didn't stand out.. which probably was down to the lack of sauce and such a thick bun to pair...


I also had a massive serving of Feta and Fresh Oregano with their Hand Cut Chips. Yet again another dry and bland dish. Chips are suppose to compliment and even more so have that moreish element to them. This did not....


If I was in the area, I wouldn't mind a revisit... I loved the sun's heat and rays breaking through the glass roof and the cool breeze rushing through the laneway... It would make a great lazy Sunday afternoon stop off...

Gazzi Cafe and Bar on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos