Bao Dao

So I've done a review on the Chatswood branch a while back and probably vowed not to return... but somehow I find myself at the Eastwood branch because majority won in deciding where we shall eat for dinner...

I think I voiced my opinion quite clearly before the meal suggesting that you shall be disappointing... the food isn't that great and chances are you too will not want to return... which by the end of the menu was the general consensus as well..


Though on our last visit we did miss out trying their Gwa Bao which we got to try this time. The portion size was quite generous BUT it's no where near Ippudo's standard... the meat it ultra fatty which isn't a bad thing for me.. the meat could have been more tender... the bun tasted over cooked and not so fluffy and I just wished there was something special in the sauce to tie it all together... it was average at best...


My wife suggested trying their Braised Eggplant. there wasn't much to fault.. mushy, saucy eggplant. Though it was annoying to have to spit out the skin...


My wife and I also shared a bowl of Grandmum Stewed Pork Belly and Rice. The pork belly is yet again nearly all fat... I didn't mind it but it became too much fat (I didn't think I'd ever complain about this) as you kept powering through. The dish itself tasted very home cooked and blah to me... I think I'm expecting something WOW from this place... and it just never delivers...


The last thing was to try the Taiwanese Pancakes at the stall in the front. It seemed to attract a lot of attention as there was a small group gathered to make their choices... $2 for one or three for $5. We ordered one red bean and two custards... all of which was too bland for our liking...

A few negative things to point out about this place:

It was annoying that we ordered our pancakes, got a number but they never called it out... I was watching with anticipation and they made no effort of yelling it out like they did previous and all night...

One of the cups that was placed on the table for the table water was dirty and still had some food in it... ummm which makes me wonder how well their dish washer is working...


One thing I did forget to take a photo of was their Golden Chicken Maryland. The skin was crispy but the chicken looked a bit undercooked. The waitress came out querying whether we enjoyed the fried chicken and as we hesitated slightly she quickly said..'It's a bit dry isn't it'... haha have faith in your product!

So despite the long lines for this place... Bao Dao is just not for me.. I'm sure it's quality and authenticity pleases the Chinese mass but there's something about it that reminds me of my mums cooking when she can't be bothered to make something decent...


Bao Tao Taiwanese Kitchen on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos