Shorty's

I was craving a burger in Canberra and my workmate informs me I can get a good feed at Shorty's. We rocked up before 6pm and half the restaurant was already full. I was happy with the positive signs and the fact I manage to get a seat outside.


From their limited burger range I ended up settling for their Soft Shell Crab Burger with Lettuce, Avocado, Coriander and Sriracha Mayo. Not usually my meat of choice but I was getting a bit tired of the usual beef or chicken variety. The burger itself was average at best. The soft shell crab had more batter than meat and it was quite dense batter as well. Presentation in general lacked lustre and the dryness was intensified by the lack of sauce. The highlight of the dish was their crinkle cut chips dusted in paprika goodness.


As a starter/side I ordered their Grilled Corn on the Cob with Chipotle Mayo and Parmesan. The chipotle mayo and parmesan was the weapon needed to boost their non-sweet, dry and slight charred corn. It was plated well and tasted fine... I just wish they invested into some better produce.


My friend had their Grilled Beef Burger with Bacon Jam, Lettuce, Tomato, Pickles and Dijonnaise. It definitely looked better than the soft shell crab at least.


I couldn't help myself and ordered their Deep Fried Golden Gaytime with Honeycomb and Caramel. It came out quite presentable... nothing over the top. The flavours of the honeycomb and caramel was paired perfectly.


It was only when I broke the crunchy coating that my face filled with disappointment. The ice-cream inside did not have sufficient freezing time and the was literally Gaytime water. It oozed all over the plate and my dessert became some lame sweet soup. Totally not worth the calorie hit.


Shorty's is located on the main street in the City with their entrance in the alleyway. I definitely love the feel of the place and the staff was top notch... but I'd only come back for a drink and those chips. 


All food can be ordered at the bar and they'll give you a number. I liked their outdoor seating that looks back out onto Tongue and Groove.


I was uncertain by their hit and miss reviews and now I understand. It's not all bad and nothing a lil' fine tuning to their menu can't solve.


Shorty's Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comments:

Annie Bean said...

I think ordinary experiences are the worst.. At least if something is good you can write that it is good, and when it is bad you can write that it is bad.. But ordinary is just meh! I would of cried as I love soft shell crab!

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos