Grease Monkey

Grease Monkey sits among the hip and happening side of Braddon. There's something about this area that just makes me love exploring it.


I rocked up around 5:30pm, just in time to make use of their $20 deal (Any Burger, Chips and Beer) which I noticed on Facebook. I did receive a bit of apprehension from the guy but the order went through smoothly nonetheless.

I started with their Dirty Bird Burger - Southern Fried Chicken, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Cheese and Greasy's Sauce. I guess the best way to do this is a compliment sandwich.... the chips that came with it were hot, fluffy and spot on. I loved the use of paprika on top which brings back memories of chips from Red Lea. The fried chicken in the burger was a bit of disaster... it was drier than the fried chicken I ordered on the side. Some parts were inedible as it was just burnt and overcooked. Though the sauce it came with was delicious... just wish I had more of it.


I also sampled their Greasy Fried Chicken - 3 pieces for $11. I actually ended up getting 4 pieces... maybe because they deemed a few of the pieces too small. The chicken was a bit on the dry side and the crunchy batter was quite minimal. I ended up needing to drown the fried chicken in basic ketchup just to power me through it. 

One thing I did appreciate is the use of kitchen paper towels instead of tissues on the tables. Tissues are horrible when it comes to getting greasy foods off your fingers. Though it might look at fancy on the table, the practicality gets a thumbs up from me.


I love their range of beers on tap... hard to say whether it was a burger joint serving alcohol or a bar serving food. Though the food was a bit on the disappointing side, it was still nice to nurse my beer and people watch on the stools facing out. 


I personally did love the atmosphere though. Such a hipster venue for Canberra. With a lovely outdoor seating area perfect for the warmer seasons and seats along the bar as well as booths for larger groups. 



It's located quite close to The Hamlet and just around the corner from a micro brewer. It's definitely catering for the right crowds and has a lot of potential. Potentially a relook at their fried chicken...

Parking in the area can be a bit of challenge depending on what days you decide to rock up. Though after 6pm, most parking parallel to this street is free... and a bit of a walk wouldn't hurt before and after this massive calorie intake.



Despite my experience and what might appear to be a bit negative review, I would probably come back and give one of their other burgers a try. I'm a sucker like that... I just like to give places like this a second chance.

Grease Monkey Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos