Miss Van's Street Food

Finally I've broken free of the Braddon food scene and ventured off near into Westside Acton Park. Westside Acton Park is unlike most places I've seen before. It's essentially a pop up park made from shipping containers and metal piping exoskeleton.


To be completely honest I came here with prejudgements that Canberra's Vietnamese food scene lacks authenticity and the fact it was in a shipping container really put the nail in the coffin for me. I hesitantly walked up and ordered a bowl of Rare Beef Noodle Soup.

The Pho came out in a biodegradable bowl... which I appreciated as it just sat so naturally with the theme of Westside Acton. The condiments were on the counter and it's all self serve. The Pho actually smelt alright and I was a bit taken back at how fantastic it was after my broth initiation. Any preservation of Asian Fusion were drowned in the first bite.. with the only thing fusion left was the environment. The broth was flavourful, there was a perfect balance of noodles and meat... and despite me not liking the salad (bean sprouts and mint) forced upon me, I actually didn't mind it. Nonetheless I still added my obligatory Hoisin and Siracha sauce combo which only made me happier.


I also decided to pair if with a cup of Vietnamese Iced Coffee. Personally I'm not a fan of coffee in general BUT there was just something so refreshing and relaxing about chilling out at this venue and dining on something so familiar. It's been one of my most comforting food reviews in Canberra yet.

The only gripes I have with the place is the cost. I generally am use to a sub $10 price tag for Pho. Anything priced over better be justified with larger servings or what not. The fact it was Canberra and the cost of food in general seems to have taken a leaflet from the book of Airport Food Courts, this can be slightly overlooked. There was a slight annoying surcharge of 65 cents for use of credit card.
The service here was relatively friendly and polite... and best of all there was barely a wait and my food came out piping hot.



I love the fact it's located right by the edge of the lake. You feel the breeze flowing in and the slow decent of the sun in the background as you slurp down some authentic Vietnamese food.  Residing here are some basketball courts and plenty of parking.


If you're tired of Modern Australian cuisine that seems to dominate the Canberra food scene... then come here for a bit of culture... You can enjoy your dinner and then follow it up with a nice relaxing stroll by the lake. Can't wait for a revisit to get some Banh Mi in my belly.


Miss Van's Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos