Wok Chow

It was a cold night. I organised to meet my family here for some dinner and catchup. Wok Chow serves Modern Chinese Cuisine that's influenced by Mark Jensen (Executive Chef from Red Lantern) and Jian Li.

It was a week night dinner session and the restaurant was nearly empty. The signs were worrying but I remained positive. The waitress took our order and didn't write anything down. She memorised it and did not make one mistake. That was a pretty impressive feat.


We started with the Crispy Skin Chicken - Half Chicken in Coriander, Shallots, Ginger and Red Vinegar Sauce. Most pieces I had the chicken was dry... unless you really soaked it in the sauce. The skin was barely crispy as well.


We then had the Pork and Prawn Fried Rice as well as the Duck Fried Rice. Both fried rices were full bodied without being too oily. It wasn't soft and fluffy but edible enough without too many complaints.


There was a divide on the table about which one was better.... I enjoyed the Duck Fried Rice as it had more flavour but some of the family found it to be a bit on the salty side.


Next up was their Salt and Pepper Pork Chop. I read about it on their Facebook page and was quite excited to sample it. The pork chop was very tender and still had good texture but that's where it ended. The batter was so weak and soggy. It added nothing to enhance the pork chop. The flavours were nice but texture wise... it tasted like the pork chop was reheated in a microwave.


We tried their Crispy Basil Chilli Chicken - Five Spices and Chilli Flakes. The sauce was great and the chicken was juicy. Reminded me of a fancy version of Popcorn Chicken....


We then had the Penang Curry of Slow Braised Beef Shin - Lime Leaf, Baby Corn and Chilli topped with Coconut Cream. This dish took us by surprised... as we were under the impression Wok Chow was a fusion Chinese Restaurant.... but then noticed on their website that they also serve dishes from South East Asia. I think this dish was the biggest let down of the night... we all sampled a bit and the dish was almost left untouched. Yes, the beef fell apart when I pushed my spoon through it BUT there was this grainy, dry texture to the meat as I struggled to chew it. The flavours weren't intense and curry tasted watered down.


Next up was the Peking Duck Breasts with Pancakes - Cucumber, Shallots and Hoisin Sauce. I was excited as I read that they made the Peking Duck themselves.


Peking duck skin is suppose to be thin and crispy with only a thin slice of meat. Also because of the way it's cooked, it has a fatty but melt in your mouth taste to it. So bad but so good. This just tasted like I was served a few slices of typical roast duck and charged for a peking duck.


To top off the meal we sampled their Deep Fried Ice Cream with Palm Sugar Sauce and Chopped Nuts. The batter was soggy, the sauce topping tasted like Cottees and it just had no wow factor it. 



We ordered Green Tea but they were sold out... so we ended up settling for Jasmin Tea. 

This meal was partially paid for by a collaboration between Wok Chow and Zomato.... but even then I ran into a lot of complications with that on the night. The staff handled the situation as professionally as possible, for which I do commend them on that.


This restaurant sits in a location that's basically full of grand openings and grand closings... and based on their food and the high prices... I don't know how long they'll survive. Thank god for their excellent service at least.

Click to add a blog post for Wok Chow on Zomato

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos