Pho Nam Viet

My wife was craving a bowl of Pho and it gets increasingly hard to find some standout Pho places nearby. I stumbled onto Pho Nam Viet after a quick search on Zomato... so off we went.


She got her typical order of Pho Tai - Raw Beef Noodle Soup. The Pho came out and it wasn't hot enough. The broth was quite bland but at least the meat tasted great. I only had a few spoonfuls to sample but the fact that my wife left half the bowl uneaten was a good enough indication that the meal wasn't too great.


I decided to sample their Tomato Rice with Stir Fried Beef Cubes. When my dish arrived, it smelt and looked great. The beef was a bit hit and miss with some chewy pieces.. but at least it wasn't heavily loaded with bicarb and I can actually taste the type of meat I'm eating. The rice was deliciously buttery and best of all I loved how the sauce from the meat soaked into the lettuce and made a tasty dressing to compliment. The meat to rice ratio was spot on as well.


I also ordered an Iced White Coffee to pair with my meal.


The decor really brought me back to Cabramatta... it's clean but dingy at the same time... and I don't mind that. They leave all the condiments on the table as well as tea. I love the ritual of needing to wipe all my cutlery before I eat it... it's just something I grew up with... something familiar. 


When we walked in the staff looked at us with very little care.. not even a greeting. She just pointed to a general area of vacant tables for us to choose from. Yes i know... asian service... what do you expect?

It's a tad annoying that the menu had a combination of Chinese and English as opposed to Vietnamese and English... but I guess it's to cater for the locals... and the fact they were Chinese themselves. I normally like the Vietnamese translations to help translate the English interpretations of the dish....


Overall it was just average, the prices, the food and the service. Personally if you're going to have Vietnamese food in Eastwood... just stick to Gia Hoi and Tan Viet... they're popular for a reason.


Click to add a blog post for Pho Nam Viet on Zomato

3 comments:

Annie Bean said...

It is so difficult to find good pho.. I find that the only way is to cook it yourself! So sad that it was average and that the customer service was average.. There is such a stigma around Asian service, and rightly so, but I wish that it would change so that there is an all round good experience.. I guess the care for their customers reflected in their food?

Unknown said...

Hi Annie. I think if a restaurant produces good food I can turn a blind eye slightly to the service. I normally don't expect much service other than the fact they bring out the food to me anyways... but when you cant mask it behind a great dish... I guess everything unravels quicker. It's so sad that Asian service gets a bad wrap and I hate promoting the fact (especially since I'm asian) but maybe in time... more places will veer towards a better customer service mentality... all it takes is a smile and a how do you do....

Annie Bean said...

I 100% agree.. All it takes is a smile and a hello. I go to a nice Thai place in Mitcham called Chef's Thai. it is a lovely family owned business and the staff are so friendly and amazing. In saying all that their food is incredible too!

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos