Ox Eatery

As part of our Xmas celebrations, it was very generous of our CTO to take us all out - wine and dine style - to celebrate what was a great year with a great team.


We started with the Potted Smoke Trout and Fresh Baguette which was paired with some Prosecco and I felt like I was transported to Barcelona. I had fond and wonderful memories attached as I smeared the smoke trout generously on the baguette. I only chose to eat two servings so I could pace myself for the night. I've always been that guy to carb up early and fail by dessert.


Next to arrive was the Asparagus, Lemon, Quail Egg with Jamon. The dish was well balanced with the fresh asparagus complimenting the saltiness from the Jamon and creaminess of quail egg and cheese. 



One dish I thought I wasn't going to enjoy was the Rotisserie Sliders - Pork with apple sauce. I was surprisingly taken back at how balanced the burger was. I normally find as burgers decrease down to sliders, proportions of ingredients get lost in the mathematical complexity. These might have just restored my faith in sliders again.


If there's one dish that you must try, for me it has to be the Lamb from the Rotisserie. Lip smackingly delicious. I loved the well proportioned slices of lean and fatty meat as it melted in your mouth... and drizzled in that sauce... just yum... a definite must....


The dish complimented well with a side of Watercress, Pear, Celeriac and Honey Dressing. Simple, elegant and refreshing. My only complaint was there wasn't enough.


We also sampled their Chicken, Gravy, Thyme, Spinach & Macadamia. Though some of the pieces looked dry, I was surprised by how succulent and juicy most of the pieces were. If I had to write any complaints... the chicken was a tad too salty for my liking.


An oldie but a goodie is their Roasted Potatoes and Garlic Butter. Everything a growing belly needs!


For dessert we started with some hot churros that were so fluffy and moreish. I've had my fair share of churros in my time and this was by far the best... 


Then we moved onto a Passionfruit Sorbet soaking in white wine. I think everyone was in agreement that we could have smashed down multiple cups of these. 


And to finish up an Espresso Martini. A nice balance of bitter and sweet to top off a fantastic meal. 


One of the highlights was meeting Steve Rockmann. It was great to see the passion as he explained the meal we were going to have. There's more to it than just a passion for food but a drive to create an overall balanced meal. It gave me hope that people like him will bring a great future for the Canberra food scene. I also managed to peer pressure him into a photo =)


The restaurant sits quietly below a hotel and across from a pub. It appears to be like any other hotel restaurant but it's really a treasure in plain sight. I like how it's not in the main part of Manuka yet the people in the know still come to enjoy what this place has to offer.


What's fantastic is that the food also appears to be quite simple but it's obvious that there has been a lot of planning and perfecting gone into making each dish so well balanced. I'm so glad I had a chance to dine at the Ox Eatery and can't wait to bring some Sydney-siders to sample what the capital has to offer. 


Ox Eatery Bar & Deli Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos