Zeus Street Greek

The concept of Gyros was so foreign to me until we first met and fell in love in Melbourne at the famous 24/7 Stalactites. Ever since, I've been longing for the craze to come to Sydney and at last... it has arrived. Gyros/Yeeros stores popping up everywhere. No longer do I need to subject my stomach to kebab "meat" anymore.

I've been hearing some buzz about this Zeus in Drummoyne. Can it stand up to the challenge? I had to find out.


We called twice to confirm that it was open on Australia day and made a double date of it. The best thing about dining as a group is I get more pictures to showcase for this blog and as an added bonus a wider range to treat the palate.


The decore was very modern. Nothing tacky or mythological as the name suggests. We were happy not to see statues or Greek Island artwork. The only slight complaints I had about the place was the self service water. It trickles water at such a slow rate. It took me a few minutes to fill up four small cups of water. Also the air conditioning vents above our table leaked water drips occasionally.


To pair up with my food I chose a bottle of Mythos. It was light and refreshing and went well with the meal... despite it being cold and rainy outside.


As starters we sampled the feta and oregano chips.  I'm not sure why but we felt like we expected more of a "Wow, these are great" response... but instead we agreed "... it tastes like it's description".


The other starter was the lightly fried calamari with preserved lemon mayo. You can't go wrong with a good mayo sauce and the calamari's were cooked nicely.


Finally the dishes we've been waiting for. We start off with the Spartan Chicken. I love the use of the custom stickers they apply to each roll. The spartan chicken was our favourite of the day. Though in all honesty, there wasn't much competition. Oven roasted chicken with aegean slaw, preserved lemon mayo, caramelized onion and parsley. The sauce just tied it together. The success of this gyros really depended on how generous they were with the sauce. My chicken Gyros was a bit on the drier side.


Despite the waitress not suggesting the Zeus as their top three popular gyros, my wife still chose it. It consisted of their signature slow cooked lamb with aegean slaw, smoked eggplant, onion and parsley. Did you notice something? It doesn't even come with sauce. It just felt like I was missing something after the first mouthful. Even without the sauce, it tasted like a fresh, well made gyros roll... but again... just a bit dry without some flavourful sauce.


The other suggestion we opted from the menu came from a nearby customer, the Uncle Tzimmy Lamb. This also showcased their signature slow cooked lamb with tomato, tzatziki, onion, paprika and chips. For some reason this one tasted a bit more gamy, maybe because it didn't have the slaw to hide behind. Also it felt like there wasn't enough sauce as well. Why are they so frugal with their sauces!?


What I did enjoy were the pita bread. It was slightly thick but held well under the weight of all the ingredients. Also with the gyros itself being quite small, the carb hit is what will probably keep you eating one rather than two...


To finish off we all had our eyes on their street sweets. There were only two choices on the menu. We debated on how many we'll actually get per plate and what flavour to choose... eventually to resolve all issues we got both.

To answer all the questions you get 6 loukomades per plate. The picture above is loukomades (Greek doughnuts) covered with honey, cinnamon and walnuts. The picture below is the chocolate loukoumades drizzled with hazelnut chocolate and crushed walnuts.

What we decided was that both dishes weren't complete without each other. The honey covered lacked the kick of the sweet chocolate and the chocolate covered ones were so bland in the centre and needed an injection of honey to push through the last bite. What would have also been nice was maybe a coffee to pair with the dessert.. but they don't sell coffee. I suspect this slows down the turnover rate... and they get a lot of customers passing through at lunch.


Overall we agreed they served decent gyros but not ones we'd go out of the way for...


Zeus Street Greek on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos