Vinh Phat

We don't go yum cha very often but when we get a chance, I love it. It's always a nice treat to meet up with family or friends and just catch up over an asian style tapas. This time it was my parents shouting us for my wife's birthday. The only time we manage to get together as a group was the busiest time in Cabramatta... lunchtime. 

We rocked up to this yum cha place my mum recommended and the line was coming down the stairs and out onto the street. That was a good enough sign for me to get in line and get us a table. 


The first dish to hit the table is my favourite yum cha dish of all time. Deep fried, taro on the inside mixed with some mince meat. If done right the outside flakes awake and melts in your mouth and the taro and meat adds another layer of creaminess. I think I can hands down declare this place makes this dish the best. ... unless anyone else can find me a better one??

Unknowingly, we have been to this yum cha place before... but it was small, dingy and across the road when we last went. It was so long ago that my grandpa was still alive and my grandma wasn't in a nursing home. They took me there and bought me the dish above, knowing how much I loved it. They also told me they didn't like it and I had to eat it on my own. One whole plate of these can ruin your appetite quick....


The typical prawn dumplings. I never seem to get sick of them despite how they all now come easily purchasable in the frozen aisles at the supermarket... or the beloved Costco ones.


The trend I recently picked up is at yum cha every dumpling dish seems to be some sort of prawn combination. Prawn with this or that... it really makes it hard for people with seafood allergies to enjoy...


I don't know why my dad ordered two bowls of chicken feet for the table. They're delicious but in hindsight, one was more than enough. My dad - #ChickenFeetLover


More picture of the dim sims and dumpling style dishes. Everything tasted great... when drenched in their chilli sauce.


Personally, I never order the deep fried stuff but I always go to yum cha with people that do. Actually in fact I married one. That doesn't stop me from eating it with the mayonnaise pairing. I've concluded that Chinese people added these dishes to the menu to cater for westerners... like sweet and sour pork, black bean sauce with anything and free prawn crackers...


Ah, tripe is a classic. Another one of my dad's favourites.


Finally when you can't eat anymore.. then you know it's time for dessert. We shared a plate of mango pancake. I think only my sister really appreciated this. I personally don't do dessert at yum cha...


Then my wife's favourite came. The tofu dessert. I actually liked this one... a generous serving of syrup is the key! ... and the combination here was spot on for my taste buds. My wife still prefers Fortun8.


Ha! Yes after dessert, we ordered more savoury dishes.... because we eat with our eyes, and they're always hungry.


...and then some greens to make us feel less guilty and more healthy from all the damage we just did to our stomaches....


The bill came out to around $20 a person... and none of us were left a slight bit hungry... you can't ask for more than that. Definitely a place I'd revisit... even if it meant waiting in line... which is such the norm in Sydney lately.

Vinh Phat on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos