Let the Tiger out to play - My First Pair

I'll be the first to admit it... I have a problem. I love shoes and I'm a guy. 50 plus pairs strong currently and I don't even know why I have this addiction with being a collector... and yes I do realise I only have one pair of feet and even though it's not a massive collection... it's still a redonkulous amount of shoes for a guy. To make it worse, this is after I sold over 10 pairs that "didn't fit in" with my collection.

So what I've decided to do is photograph and document my collection on occasions just so I can look back and cry at how that money I spent could be feeding my kids in the future. 

My guidelines for the collection are basically: it has to be Vans, Converse or Onitsuka Tigers. Nice and simple but even then I recall selling a bunch of them out of the collection just because I didn't wear it.


This is my first pair of Onitsuka Tigers. Currently owning over 30 pairs at the moment, this design is the equivalent to Original Flavour in the chips world. 


The infamous ASICS stripe found on these Tigers was introduced in 1966 and then probably made most famous in 1968 at the Olympic Games in Mexico. The most common design that most Tiger owners wear is the Mexico 66. 

For me, Tigers are those shoes you buy from the shop and you don't have to "break them in". Choose the right size, slip them on, lace them up and off you go - blister free.


The shoe is made up of perforated leather with suede overlays. I love how the suede adds that extra depth to the design but it's the quickest part of the shoe to get dirty... and difficult to clean. I personally use the leather flaps at the back to hold onto when I slip these puppies on but I have heard terrible stories of them tearing off on occasions. 

Reminiscing of the logo that use to be

So I did mention that these shoes are comfortable and blister free BUT I would not recommend them for the use of long walks. The cushioning for the shoe from heel to toe is thin to non-existent. Actually it's more like a hard piece of rubber. You will feel most bumps on the ground. Also the sole is unfortunately not in a pattern that allows for extensive grip and is slippery when wet. 


I remember owning these when Tigers were only available at the ridiculous price of $150+. I use to have to change the laces on these all the time just so it felt like a different pair of shoes...  Now the market is saturated and the demand for them has increased and you can easily pick them up between $50-$100. Despite the saturation... I still love them and will continue to grow this collection.





0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos