Pork'd

I love lazy Sundays... when the weather is good and I want nothing more than to eat something that's different... and that's exactly what we did. I headed out with my wife's family to try Pork'd.


I'm sure that they were all at least a little bit more excited to try Pork'd as pork is such a dominant choice of meat in the Filipino culture. For me, if I was going for something other than the standard chicken or beef, I tend to lean towards duck and lamb... only because Pulled Pork and Crackling bore me since it saturated the food scene...


We must have rock'd up at a complete dry period as the entire restaurant was empty for the whole time we were there (around 12 noon to 1pm).... which at least meant the customer service was attentive and fantastic. Plus it gave me the chance to wander around with my camera taking happy snaps.


The decore was heavily pig themed (with coasters on the wall, drawings and even articles), but done tastefully with a vintage and hipster feel to it. What's even better is their range of craft beer at their open bar.


One of the highlights for the meal was the Beaver Brand Extra Hot Jalapeno Mustard. It really packed in the kick it promised and provided not just the chilli sensation but a smooth, creamy sauce with plenty of flavour aside from the burn. After a quick Google search online, you can order it from Chile Mojo.


With five of us, we decided to order smart and opted for two Pigsy Plates to share - a selection of Cider Pork Belly, Chilli Bacon, Porter Ham Hock, Cheese Kransky and a chef's pick with a pickle, beans and bread roll. Plus we got two servings of Crinkle Cut Fries and a Mac 'n' Cheese.


I'm so glad we opted to turn the plates into a mini tapas style lunch because I felt that if we got a plate each, the meal would have became too repetitive and overbearing. The pork selection was creative BUT overall it felt dry... and yes hence the need for sauce (which was supplied... both hoisin and apple sauce).


I for one love pork when done right but this jut wasn't. I miss the soft, juicy and slightly fatty pork belly that has so much flavour to offer... or how about a super crispy bacon with the crunch...and doesn't the kransky suppose to have cheese oozing through the center and onto my tongue... it just felt overrated.

The concept of ordering at the counter like a take-away store and getting your food in a lunch-tray style is great... but don't serve food that tastes like it was made cheaply or mass produced. I hate to compare but just less than a kilometer and a half down the road is Mr Crackles which offers a pork sensation on the higher end of the scale without the price tag (to which we walked to afterwards just to complete the cycle of pig for the day).


For me the highlights were the chips and sauce... which I could have kept eating.. as for the rest... I'd still recommend a try for the novelty... possibly to share a plate... and get some craft beers to wash it down... but don't expect to be "squealing" with joy....

Click to add a blog post for Pork'd on Zomato

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos