Nasi Uduk Jakarta

Located on the busy strip of Anzac Parade, it's another Indonesian restaurant trying to fight it out. What made this place stand out for me was that they had rissoles on their menu. I recall having them a few times in Bali and absolutely loved them.... and am completely surprised that so many restaurants do not offer the dish.

I walked into a near empty restaurant and chose to sit right at the back. She handed me a menu, a piece of paper and a pen. I browsed through their menu quickly and noted down what I wanted. Unfortunately I was informed they didn't have rissoles that day, the primary reason why I chose to eat here in the first place, and resold me on another entree.


My main came out first. I ordered their Nasi Uduk Jakarta Complete - Coconut Rice with Fried Chicken, Chilli Egg, Fried Beef, Potato and Green Bean with Chilli. To be honest, I'm not a fan of Indonesian food... it reminds me of simple home cooking that you grew up with but the fact I didn't makes me unable to associate the foods with memories and possibly making it more special than it is.  Unfortunately this just leaves it's simplicity unappreciated.


The new entree I was resold on was Tahu Isi - Fried Tofu with Vegetable Stuffing.


The tofu taste dominated the dish and the vegetable stuffing was a nice compliment. I've never been the type to not enjoy all things deep fried. I was still left with that rissoles craving.


She offered a small jar of chilli sauce to pair with my food and warned me it's extra hot.... which I did not take with any caution and smothered it on my food. My spice tolerance must have been high that day as it only enhanced the dish with a delicious kick and was not unbearably hot. 


I also got a Teh Botol - Sweetened Jasmine Tea but was quite disappointed when it came out in a popper like I was eating little lunch in primary school. 


The service here was extremely friendly from the time I entered to when I left... the type of polite hospitality that I recall in Bali. The decor was simple and the place was clean. They offer free tea and the place is also cash only as well. Overall, I think this place reconfirms that I just don't enjoy Indonesian cuisine. The style just doesn't do anything for my tastebuds. Maybe I'd return for some rissoles to takeaway...


Click to add a blog post for Nasi Uduk Jakarta on Zomato

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos