Lao Hui Min Hand Made Ramen Restaurant

Chinese food isn't all the same and Lao Hui Min is an example of North Western Chinese food in Sydney. Their cuisine is primarily based on wheat carbohydrates and meat... which all follow a strict halal law due to the predominant Muslism community in Xinjiang. 


We sampled their Special Stir Fried Noodles in Chilli Sauce... and that's exactly what it was. The hand made noodles were al dente and had that brilliant bite to it... which only hand-made noodles have. The dish was surprisingly not as heavy as it looked despite the noodles being soaked in sauces and oils.


To refresh the palate we ordered a side of Cucumber in Garlic Sauce. The garlic element was strong and slightly overpowering.. which almost eliminated the fresh salad taste we were hoping for.


One of the highlights and a definite must is their Lamb Skewers. The lamb has been cooked over charcoal and dusted heavily with cumin, salt and pepper. The flavours are full bodied and the meat was tender and well-seasoned. They also offer a full lamb as well... and if these skewers are anything to go by, I'd be up to sample some of that lamb (which feeds twenty people).


When dining with this particular friend we always have to break the norm so we tried their Stir-Fried Haggis. When the dish came out, it looked familiar, like something my mum use to serve me when I was a kid. It's not in the traditional Scottish Haggis form, but you get the idea when the dish is plated with an assortment of offal. I quite enjoyed the dish since it had no traces of liver.


We also got their Fried Dumplings, of which you have a generic choice of meat or vegetable. The dumpling was probably the let down of the meal... well that and the cucumber salad.


With so many Shanghainese places on this street perfecting the art of dumplings, this was sub par in comparison.

If the dishes aren't oily enough for you, and they will be, then my suggestion is to add some more flavour and kick with their chilli sauce provided on the table. 


The decor is humble, the service is decent and the biggest thing I'm glad of is they got rid of that poor excuse for a Vietnamese restaurant that use to be here.


Don't be expecting Ramen (in the traditional Japanese sense) as the restaurant title suggests, but do expect a unique Chinese cuisine that's full of flavours you might not expect.

Click to add a blog post for Lao Hui Min on Zomato

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos