Fratelli Fresh

"We're having Italian tonight" she said.

I really didn't know what to expect. I armed myself with a camera and we made our way there. For me Italian food is a rarity. Not because its not readily available but more so because my partner hates eating plates of the same flavoured dish... and you can only share so many plates of carbs when you're dining as two.


Fratelli Fresh has multiple locations but the one we visited was at Bridge Street, Sydney. I tried to do further research on the company but their website crashed with a SQL Server error. Horrible experience for a Database Administrator to spot...

Sydney's been really loving these underground bars/restaurants/anything. Underground is the new trend. I did love the decore though... Reminds me of the pictures during my research for restaurants in Italy. Though it was overly done when I spotted Roman statues inside. 


The menu came out quick and so was the service. As you can tell from the picture of the menu, the lighting in this place is poor. Well to be fair, a lot of other tables had lighting near them, but we were sat in the poorly lit/"romantic" section. The rest of the guests that night made some remarks at the table that they couldn't see the menu but the table next to us made a complaint to the waitress. A simple issue to address with some candles on the table... though that would have lessen the space we were already battling with on our table for two... with four people on it.


I love the openly displayed kitchen. It really makes you feel like there's nothing to hide. No yelling across the room like in Hell's Kitchen. Everyone was just plugging away doing their thing. I'm glad at least their area was well lit...


The menu was extensive... on a blackboard and on our recycled pieces of paper at the table. The wine menu was even longer. There's just so many choices... which is one of my pet peeves... but I'm glad the girls jumped straight on it and picked their favourites... Being one of the less picky eaters at the table... I'm just happy to be part of the eating adventure...


The food came out at a reasonable time, but with good company, you just don't notice these things.


I actually didn't mind the combination of prosciutto and melon. Definitely developed the appreciation more so after my visit to Europe.


As I'm writing this my mind has drawn a blank to what this was called... but it was a tomato based pasta which looked better than it tasted.


Again.. I'm no Italian connoisseur... but my Osso Buco resembled a plate of Mac 'n' Cheese. Not the taste... just the look...

Honestly pasta vs pasta.... I couldn't tell which was better... only because I wasn't really impressed by either... maybe I'm slightly biased as I normally prefer white based sauce pastas smothered in cheese...


I drenched my pizza with their chilli olive oil... which wasn't necessary as the pizza had a lot of flavours already. Highly recommend the use of it, as it gave that extra creamy kick that some people like me love.


The pizza sizing was decent - 6 slices. Some were massive and it could have easily been a double slice.
The topping were generous and hot chorizo was my favourite.


The tiramisu was soft, creamy and fluffy. A slight hint of coffee flavour but tasted extremely bland compared to the banoffee.


The caramel was extra thick... and made for the lovers of caramel... The base was so dense it required extra manpower to break through... and the cream paired nicely in a massive spoonful of the three.

The bill came out to $142 for four people, which included two glasses of wine. Probably not a place I'd revisit for pasta, but definitely worth a try as we might have just got some of the less impressive dishes in their wide range menu.

Café Sopra at Fratelli Fresh on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos