Vietnam Layover

Unlike an episode of Anthony Bourdain: The Layover, we unfortunately didn't get the leave the airport to enjoy the delicacies the country had to offer. Instead we were held prisoner like Tom Hanks: The Terminal.

As we arrived we made our way to the transfer counters and they noticed we were stranded here for a while and offered us free dinners. We excitedly grabbed the vouchers and headed to the cafe. At this point in time,  my wife was submerged in flu germs and I have such a weak immune system so I was in the early stages. Jet lagged and sick we hesitantly chose the "best" choices on the menu.

Don't get me wrong... there's nothing wrong with a free meal and it was an extremely generous offer despite feeling slightly pressured into buying overpriced drinks to compensate (there's no such thing as a free meal).


I forgot what this was labelled as on the menu but it was two minute noodles with dry chicken. I'm actually a fan of two minute noodles but they didn't even put the sachet of flavouring in this. It's literally noodles in hot water with dry steamed chicken and dress with carrots and shallots. I had to add a packet of soy sauce to my bowl just to get some resemblance of flavour.


My wife's fried was one piece of chicken, some boiled rice and what looks to be the same salad in my noodle soup. It was extremely bland as well. Airport salt must be extra expensive.


My paid for coconut juice was actually decent. I managed to squeeze in a few bites of both dishes and drank my juice... and left for a better food adventure at the airport.

The thing I looked forward to this stopover was trying a big bowl of Pho (which this store promised) and was glad they at least considered to add some Vietnamese cuisine into their overly western themed airport they had going. The only Asian feel was the fact most people couldn't speak english and they were selling over-priced nick-nacks that were Made in China.  


The Pho was actually decent... though it was after the horrid free meal we endured before so the comparison was slightly skewed. My only complaint was I clearly ordered Pho Bo and they served my Pho Ga but my vietnamese language skills is limited to naming foods, counting and either swearing at his mum or telling him to consume faeces... which all would not have resolved this situation.


With our limited Vietnamese currency, we had to be "tight" on what we ordered so we shared a bowl of Pho. The guy next to us, was binging on food and ordered three dishes. His third dish came out: brocolli stir fry. He seemed to be running late, so he turned and asked us if we wanted it and sent the waiter to serve the dish to us. Secretly I think he felt sorry for us thinking we were too poor to buy our own bowls of Pho. 


No layover is complete without indulging in some good ol' American food. A delicious chicken burger, fries and some chilli sauce.


Oh and a taro pie for dessert to juxtapose.




0 comments:

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos